Thursday, May 14, 2015

Life now that I'm married

      I've been asked by many of my friends, "what's life like now that you're married? Have you adjusted well from being away from your family and friends? What do your days look like?"
     Quite honestly, my life is fantastic! Marriage is a beautiful thing, and I'm learning how to love my husband more and more every day. I'm still a sinner, and I'm still an imperfect person. I loved the quote I saw the other day that said, "Relationships- it's more than just the dates, holding hands and kissing. It's about accepting each other's weirdness and flaws. It's about being yourself and finding happiness together. It's about seeing an imperfect person perfectly."  I can't tell you how many nights that my husband and I have cried... together; laughed... together; fought side by side...together, and how many nights we wonder how the other person see's us with such beauty.
     Life now that I'm married? I still do the things that I did when I wasn't married... only... for my husband instead. I cook meals, make sure the house is clean, read, bake, have fun playing the piano and making songs up, catching up with friends through calls/texts/social media. I make sure to have dinner ready and the table set when my husband gets home, I do laundry, try to figure out how else I can decorate our home, do Bible Study's, keep myself busy, babysit, I do grocery shopping, head to the library. I enjoy walks, and being outside. I make sure to make time to talk with my family through FaceTime. :) My life is... busy! ;) It doesn't slow down just because you're married... after all, I'm not just a daughter and sister... I'm now a wife to an awesome and amazing husband! ;)
     Adjusting to married life? It's been really great actually! It's been a smooth transition. It helped when my mom and I came out here back in October, and than I came out here another 2 times before Josh and I got married. It helped to get to know the Church family down here. They've welcomed me in with warm, welcoming arms, and I love them! I miss my family, but because we FaceTime every week, and talk on the phone more than once a week, it helps. :)  Serving others in the Church has been such a blessing to me, and I've been keeping busy with babysitting, and now teaching piano lessons! ... Taught my first lesson here in Ohio last week... it was refreshing to start teaching again. :)
     When Josh and I were going through pre-marital counseling, our pastor encouraged us to stay involved in the church. To serve others, and to make sure that we put others before ourselves. To keep Christ in the center of our Marriage, and to make sure that we set aside time for each other in the business of our lives.
    I'm reminded every day of Gods many blessings. It hasn't been all sunshine days. There have been rough days as well, when Josh and I have had to walk through some things, but in the end, we've grown even more closer in our marriage. The tears come at times, and Josh has been the best husband that I could've ever asked for, and I'm truly blessed!
    So, married life? ... it's fantastic! Being married to your best friend, and being able to see them every day, is a blast! I'm very grateful!
     "Commit your works to the Lord, and your thoughts will be established... A man's heart plans his way, but the Lord directs his steps." ~Proverbs 16:3, 9~

3 comments:

  1. That's so wonderful, Caitlin! I always love hearing how friends have adjusted to married life, since I'll be there soon as well. ;)

    I imagine life speeds up--if anything. Haha! But who's complaining when you're living it with the person you love the most? You're making me wish I didn't have three years left to wait before Sam and I get married. Darn college. :P

    I love what you said about learning to love an imperfect person. Because honestly, that's what it's all about. When people fall in love, they sometimes forget that staying in love takes work. It's not always chocolate and romance. Before Sam and I got together, I used to be afraid of fighting with my future boyfriend/husband. I couldn't imagine being upset with him. And then we had a fight. I was actually mad at him. And to my surprise, it didn't horrify me. Because love is stronger--and I just think that's amazing and beautiful.

    We recently went through a pre-marital counseling class, and one of the greatest takeaways for us was the idea of "having a normal." So many couples end up drifting apart after marriage, which is tragic. But that disconnect becomes normal. They live their separate lives and get together every so often to go on dates or stay in bed on a Saturday morning. But what if "normal" was to always be connected? So connected that disconnect felt wrong and foreign. Because naturally disconnects will happen when we fight or get angry with each other, but that shouldn't be our default--to stay disconnected.

    Anyways, I'll stop now before I write a post. I just love hearing about your marriage and am glad you're happy. (: We'll have to catch up more soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment Emily! Yes, love takes work, but it's worth every second! ;) It's awesome hearing about how you and Sam are doing! I'd love to catch up with you sometime! :)

      Delete
  2. Hey Caitlin, I am looking for courtship stories for our blog The Long Way to Go. Would you check it out and see if you'd like to share your story with our readers? thelongwaytogo.com

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear comments!!! Please drop me a message!