Saturday, August 9, 2014

The Perfect Work of Patience

This post was written by Bethany Carson over at: http://todaylibertyordeath.blogspot.com

"Let patience have her perfect work, that ye may be perfect and entire, wanting nothing." --James 1:4

Patience is not a virtue easily acquired.  James tells us that the trying of our faith worketh patience.  God has given us many promises, some of which may seem impossible.  He promised Abraham when he was nearly 100 years old and his wife Sarah was 90 that they would have a son.  Was this humanly possible?  No.  But they believed God, and with God all things are possible. 

It's easy to have faith right after a promise has been made, but 2 or 3 years later it can be hard to still have faith.  Two thousand years later we are still waiting for Jesus to fulfill His promise, "Behold, I come quickly and my reward is with me."  That seems like a long time to wait, but I'm glad He waited for me.  2 Peter 3:9 says, "The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to usward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance."  But the day of the Lord will come!  God keeps his promises.  

One example my father uses is this:  If I promise you that I will take you out to eat tomorrow, is there anything you can do to make sure I fulfill my promise?  You can remind me, but there's no way you can make me keep my promise.  Keeping my promise is my job, not yours.  If I don't keep my promises, I'm a liar and a bad person.  The same works with God's promises.  He has promised, and "God is not a man that he should lie."  God will perform what He has promised.  We must believe Him, trust Him, and patiently wait for Him to fulfill His word.

God's plan for creation and for our lives is perfect.  We need to have faith that all things will work together for our good as He has promised.  

As Hebrews 10: 35-38 says: Cast not away therefore your confidence, which hath great recompense of reward.  For ye have need of patience, that, after ye have done the will of God, ye might receive the promise.  For yet a little while, and he that shall come will come, and will not tarry...The just shall live by faith."  

4 comments:

  1. I love your post and reading it is pleasure. Wise words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Caitlin for the opportunity to guest post on your blog!

    And thanks Gosia!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful post, Bethany! Your words hit home and were a great reminder :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. i found your blog thrue other bloggers..i will be visitng more...nice blog

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear comments!!! Please drop me a message!