Monday, August 25, 2014

Technology- Live in the Moment

There's technology everywhere today. Technology can be used for so much good, but it can also be used for  harm rather than good.
I remember last month, I took my 12 year old sister, and 6 year old brother to Focus on the Family. As I watched my sister and brother go down the slide, over and over again, I couldn't help but notice their face. It was full of joy, laughter, and love. There were other people around who were on their phone, talking, texting, tweeting...etc... I don't know what they were doing, but they weren't living in the moment. We take those moments for granted, and before we know it they're gone.
A couple months ago, I had taken my siblings to our local pool, so that my mom can get some rest, and while I was there, I was on my phone. It wasn't until my brother and sisters asked me to hand them some goggles, that I realized that I wasn't enjoying the moment. I put my phone away, scooted my chair closer, and watched them play in the water.
In today's day and age, we use phone's and computers for everything. We carry it around everywhere we go. We use it as our "to-go-to", when we're bored. It sucks the life out of some of us, if we're not careful.
Now, I realize that many of us work on and through the computer. Now, don't get me wrong, there's a lot that can be used for good on the computer. But do we focus so much on getting things done, that we miss life's special moments? Are you so engulfed in the technology, that you miss your baby brother/sister/son/daughter, taking their first steps? What about when your siblings are playing a game, and laughing while enjoying themselves? When you're busy with technology, are you too quick to get angry? It's in these times, that we must be careful on how often we're using our technology! Take a technology-fast if you must; enjoy life. You only get that moment in time, once.

Hebrews 13:5

"Keep your life free from love of money, and be content with what you have, for he has said, “I will never leave you nor forsake you.”

Philippians 4:8-9

"Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. What you have learned and received and heard and seen in me—practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you."

James 1:19-20

"Know this, my beloved brothers: let every person be quick to hear, slow to speak, slow to anger; for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God."

What are some ways that have helped you to live in the moment?

3 comments:

  1. Excellent admonishment! Thanks Caitlin!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your comment about getting angry while using technology is an interesting insight. I have noticed a tendency in myself to be less patient in those moments. If nothing else, having that screen in your face inherently means you're not able to give as much of yourself to the people around you or the work you're trying to accomplish (unless that work requires the use of that technology). Certainly something of which to be cognizant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Josh! Yes, for me, I noticed, that if I was busy on the computer, and someone needed my help, I didn't have the right attitude, and would tend to brush them off, and get upset. It may not apply to everyone, but it does to me. :)

      Delete

I love to hear comments!!! Please drop me a message!