Saturday, January 4, 2014

Modesty: Why I wear Skirts

I've been asked this question a lot!: Why do you wear skirts all the time?
Before I answer that, I do want to point out, that this is my own personal conviction.
This is from: http://www.themodestmomblog.com
It’s not all that often that I get questioned “why do you wear skirts all the time?” but in private settings (emails) I get asked that question quite a bit so I know its definitely on some of your minds. I’m going to try to answer this question today and the reasons for my answer may surprise some of you.
I started wearing skirts/dresses when I was 9 years old. Besides a week when I was 12 where we tried going back to pants, I've pretty much been in a skirt or dress since then. I wear pants maybe 2-3 times a year for various activities. (sledding, shoveling, playing sports, jogging)
Why I wear skirts all the time….
1. Because they are feminine and easily portray the fact that I am a woman.
This is honestly my strongest argument as to why I wear skirts. In today’s culture people seem to be extremely confused as to which gender they are (or at least many act and look confused). Homosexuality is rampant, as well as more disgusting forms of gender confusion. There are people near and dear to my heart that have chosen the homosexual lifestyle. This has made me even more determined to dress as a woman (for that is what God made me), to portray to my children that I am a female and I’m blessed to be one. Men and women properly functioning in their God given roles is one of the best defenses against the relational perversions we find in our present day...
2. Because they are easy to be modest in.
I’m not going to say that it is impossible to be modest in pants. My sister and I were out together recently, and saw an elderly lady walking to her car in pants and we commented that they were actually pretty modest. But that is because they were loose and not fitting her snugly at all.  I honestly would rather wear a skirt that is cute and pretty than wear loose, baggy pants. Most of the pants/jeans I see on ladies fit them rather snugly, and draw a lot of attention to their backside. Every curve is outlined for everyone to see.
3. Because they are comfortable 
The few times I wear pants I’m reminded of why I enjoy wearing skirts. They don’t cling to you, they are airy and cool instead of sticky and tight when it is hot out (if you don’t have a polyester slip underneath!). I find that I can do most things without pants on. Since I grew up this way it’s just natural to me.
You may notice that I don’t have the usual Deut. 22:5 verse mentioned as a reason why I wear skirts all the time. If read at face value it most certainly seems to point to the fact that women should wear dresses/skirts all the time. However I’m just not convinced that we can use that scripture as our defense. When that scripture was written, men and women alike wore robes. I think this scripture can be clearly used in regards to cross dressing, but as for the jeans vs skirt debate, I’m just not convinced. I also find it interesting that we are quick to pull this scripture out of Deuteronomy and cling to it as the reason we wear skirts, but there are countless other scriptures found in Deut. that we don’t observe.
I certainly don’t want to discourage anyone from dressing in skirts by bringing this up, and I also don’t want to appear that I’m condoning women wearing jeans. I obviously prefer women to wear skirts, but I also have friends in my life who do not wear skirts all the time and I love them deeply. I’m passionate about modesty, so much so that I started a business selling modest clothes so ladies could have more options. What I’m not passionate about is the legalism and the judgmental attitudes that sometimes accompany ladies that wear dresses only. As if the faithful daughters of Christ would wear nothing else? I’m sorry, I simply cannot agree with that. However, no child of his who has knowledge will permit themselves to don the provocative or sensual or gender confused dress of those who know not God. As in all other things, we must must honor our King even by the clothes we wear. 
All this being said, if you have never tried wearing skirts everyday around the house-give it a try for a day or two! You might be surprised with how your family responds. 
I love femininity. I love modesty. I also love my fellow sisters in Christ. I might try to encourage you to wear skirts more, but I won’t throw you over board if you decide against it. ;)

9 comments:

  1. I think this is so great! Personally I'm not convicted this way, but I admire the fact that you're not afraid to stand out for something good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Caitlin! I just recently found your blog and think it's great! This post describes my feelings about wearing skirts to a tee. I wear skirts almost all the time due to a recent conviction to do so. It has definitely been a blessing for me!

    I was reading some of the older posts on this blog, and I saw where you wrote about fires in Colorado. You even mentioned having one come so close to your house that you were almost evacuated. It just so happens that I live in the Mountain Shadows area in Colorado Springs and was evaucuated due to the Waldo Canyon fire in 2012. Our home is fine, though! I thought it was really cool to find a blogger who lives near my area of the country . . . most of the bloggers I follow live across the country or even overseas!
    God Bless!
    Natalie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Natalie! Wow! It's so neat to see girls who have the same conviction as I do!
      You live in Colorado Springs? Woah!!! Have you ever been to the CHEC conference? I'm glad your house is okay! That's neat that you live close by!!! Maybe we can meet each other one of these days.
      Blessings!
      Caitlin

      Delete
  3. Caitlin! I have not been to the CHEC conference, though I have heard of it. I should look into it!
    I am so thankful that our house was okay after the Waldo Canyon fire! It was headed straight for us, and everything was so nightmarish as we evacuated hurriedly while smoke filled the house. I remember kneeling on the kitchen floor and crying out to God to help us. I felt His presence throughout the whole ordeal. In the end, our home and all the homes around us were saved.
    It would be great to meat you sometime, Caitlin! Oh, and out of curiosity, are you aware of Rock Ledge Historic Site? I volunteer there in the summer and have met a lot of fellow homeschooling families who volunteer there also.
    God Bless!
    Natalie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The CHEC conference, is the best conference every year!!! :)
      Wow! That's quite a story about the Waldo Fire. That was a terrible fire! I'm glad you and your house was okay!
      I've never heard of Rock Ledge Historic Site, but it sounds interesting.
      Blessings!
      Caitlin

      Delete
    2. Hello Caitlin... I'm here visiting your wonderful blog from Uncommon Grace. : )
      This post was a blessing and encouragement to me. Your reasons for wearing skirts are just as beautiful as the attitude you presented it in.
      For myself I wear skirts pretty much all the time too, and it has been that way since I was a child. It had been a thorn in my side for a long time because as a young girl I longed to fit in like everyone else. But now the older me really does love wearing skirts and it is my decision, not just my parent's desire for me.
      I have always been treated with kindness and respect by strangers and kind of imagine that wearing skirts has something to do with it. Plus, you instantly look like you're "dressed up" in your everyday clothes. : )
      Oh, and I checked out your store and I'm in love. What to go! I really love the Abigail maxi skirt--it looks so comfortable! Maxis are a plus, especially if they don't wrinkle.
      Keep following after the Lord dear sister, with this loving heart. He is going to do much with you.
      -Grace

      Delete
    3. Hi Grace! Glad you stopped by! :)
      Thank you very much! Yes, my mom and I have often talked about when we wear skirts, men are more likely to open doors and be friendly. :)
      Oh, and by the way, it's actually not my store... it's Debroah's store... however, I did purchase one of their Maxi skirts! Super comfortable! :)
      Blessings!
      Caitlin

      Delete
  4. Oops, I didn't realize that that part was quoted from... reading back I see that. I'm sorry, I tend to have a lot of blonde moments. : P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries! I do that all the time! :) Thanks again for stopping by! :)

      Delete

I love to hear comments!!! Please drop me a message!